Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Everything You Want to Know!

Thanksgiving. 

Plates piled high with stuffing and sweet potatoes.  Familiar and perhaps new faces gathered ‘round a seasonally decorated table.  Seconds.  Tales of childhood shenanigans, whispers of thanks for loved ones seated next to you.  Thirds.  Pie.  Naps.  Pitch Perfect.  Yes to all of it.
As we tip our hats to another Thanksgiving gone by and look forward with wonder-wide eyes to the next month of frenzied shopping and travel plans;
as we light our Advent candles and prepare—hopeful, expectant—to celebrate the birth of the Messiah, Emmanuel, Prince of Peace, God With Us…

Let’s calm down.  Let’s sit back.  Let’s make giving thanks an everyday thing.

I, for one, have something in particular to be thankful about.
A few weeks ago, I announced that I needed $300 more per month before I could buy a plane ticket for Thailand.

Guess what?  People pledged their dollars, and now
I’M FULLY FUNDED!
You guys responded, God provided, and I bought a ticket to take me across the ocean to the other side of the world.

So thank you, a zillion times over.  And welcome to Team Thailand.
Several people have asked me several of the same questions over the past several months, so for the sake of clarification and something else to hang on your fridge (next to my prayer card, of course—P.S., let me know if you want one of those), here’s a cheat sheet to everything you ever wanted to know about what I’m doing with my life next year on out. 


Where are you going?
Thailand

Where in Thailand?
Lopburi for the first year, then up to the Isaan region for the rest of the years.  Potentially in our around Khon Kaen.

Do they speak Taiwanese there?
Nope, that’s Taiwan.  People from Thailand speak Thai.

Do you already know the language?
Not yet.  We will spend our first year in language school in Lopburi.  One-on-one tutoring and homework galore.


     

Are you Asian?

Sorry, these almond eyes are Native American + white.



What made you pick Thailand?
I always respond, “Jesus,” but people always seem dissatisfied with that response.  So the short story is that I felt a burden for church planting in Asia when I went on the World Race.  After I came home from the Race, I worked at Echo Ranch Bible Camp for the summer.  Avant’s Director of Recruitment came to speak at camp for a week and suggested I check out their church planting team for Thailand.  Check.  (Go here if you want the long story.)

When do you leave?
I fly out of OKC on December 29th.  I’ll spend the next 8 days in Chicago with friends, then fly from there to Thailand on January 6th

Are you excited?
Yes.  Excited for new things and being with my team and living overseas and fulfilling the calling God gave me.  But sad about leaving my family, friends, church, and American lifestyle.  Nervous.  Hopeful.  All the feelings.

How long will you be gone?
Probably 5-7 years. 

Will you get to come back before then?
Yes, probably after about 2 years.

Are you going with anyone?
Yes.  A girl named Liz, a married couple (Matt & Heather), another married couple (Tim & Marnee), their 2 kids (Alex & Dominic).

    

Whoa!  A family??  Are they bringing their kids?
Yeah, Tim & Marnee ended up liking their boys a lot, so they decided to bring them along.

There's another girl named Jolene who will be joining us for the first year.  She'll be helping out as Alex and Dominic's homeschool teacher during that time.
Did you already know them/are they people you went with on the World Race?
No, Avant put us all on the team after we had each gone through their orientation program and they appointed us as missionaries and assessed our gifts and skills and prayed about it and stuff.  We met as a complete team for the first time at our team training in July 2014.

No, I went on the World Race through Adventures in Missions, a different missions organization.

Can people come visit you?
Yes.

Wait, where are you going again?  Taiwan?
What does your family think about it?
Very supportive and encouraging.  But you know. Sad for themselves, happy for me.

Will you get jobs there/Do you have to raise money/How is support raising going?
Probably not.  We want to have as much time as possible to devote to ministry.

I have been raising support since March, and it’s going great!  All raised!

What will you do there?
Learn how to speak and write Thai.  Pray.  Meet people.  Make friends.  Tell them about Jesus.  Pray.  Encourage them to tell their family and friends.  Encourage them to meet together to talk more about Jesus.   Encourage them to tell more people about Jesus.  Sweat.  Eat rice.  Pray.

Will you have Internet access?
Yes.

Do you think you'll meet your husband there?
Absolutely.  That’s actually the real reason I’m going.*

What would you do if you met someone before you left?
Ask him if he likes Skype and Thai tea.

What is the weather like?
Hot (80s-90s) and humid.  Oklahoma summertime 24/7.

What will you wear?
Only the best and truest missionary attire:
But for real, the women will wear blouses and long skirts.  Knees covered at all times, or else.

In some countries, they don’t allow you to come in as a missionary, and/or it’s dangerous to be a Christian.  Is that how it is in Thailand?
No.  Thankfully, Thailand is a country that does not have those kinds of restrictions on religion, like many others in the 10/40 Window.

What are you most nervous about?
(1)  Getting lost.  I have a hard enough time navigating my hometown using Google Maps.  (2)  Potentially being single forever.**  Let’s be honest.  (3)  Embracing Thailand as my new normal.  Not as a trip or time out from real life, but as my new home.  As excited as I am to learn a new culture and language and experience God on the other side of the world, I know that culture shock will be hard and missing the comfort and familiarity of my passport country will be real.  In spite of those things, I want to be all in.  He who calls me is faithful, and He will supply every need of mine according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.  It’s going to be tough, but it’s going to be good.

Alright, y’all.  I know that was a little lengthy, so thanks for bearing with me.  If there’s anything I missed, let me know.

What have you been up to?  How can I be praying for you?





* Just kidding.
** Avant Ministries does not restrict their single missionaries from getting married.  All hope is not lost.

1 comment:

  1. I love your sense of humour Reagan, that's British spelling by the way. I think I have seen your knees! Keep making Thai friends and praying for those opportunities to tell them about your best friend.

    ReplyDelete